Forum Cinema em Cena

Oscar 2010: Indicados e Previsões

MacGruber

• Members

Piemeiras reações a The Lovely Bones:

‘Lovely Bones’ reviews begin to trickle in

Posted by Kristopher Tapley · 2:17 pm · November 24th, 2009

Saoirse%20Ronan%20in%20The%20Lovely%20BonesSpeaking of Peter Jackson’s latest, the film screened for the Royals tonight across the pond.  The Guardian has doused it:

The screen version, by contrast, is so infuriatingly coy, and so desperate to preserve the modesty of its soulful victim that it amounts to an ongoing clean-up operation…Jackson turns up with his eyes averted, spraying cloying perfume to the left and right.

The Sun, in a clunky example of “writing,” has raved it:

[Jackson] creates something even more amazing than his Middle-earth fantasy. The effects are breathtaking.

Total Film has a rave up:

It deals with loss, grief, rage, familial breakdown and love, most of all love. But it’s also energetic and entertaining, the camera already moving whenever Jackson cuts into a scene and the horror/thriller elements given just enough fizz to recall the director’s early genre forays (minus the splatter) but not so comic book as to undercut the drama.

Harry Knowles, having been spoon-fed another Paramount film, predictably eats it up:

I know what you’re thinking. How can a film about the rape and murder of a beautiful 14 year old girl be anything other than traumatic, but frankly… the film is lovely.

Screen International offers postive words with a few caveats:

[T]he blockbuster film-maker demonstrates subtlety and tenderness in his treatment of the emotive subject matter. But he also almost blows it all with his afterworld special effects, smothering Sebold’s delicate conceit with overblown visuals and ostentatious CGI.

Todd McCarthy saw the film at some point this week or last while the rest of us on these shores were being told “no press,” and is set to pan it (a blurb showed up at Variety yesterday before swiftly being taken down).  I assume that review will be posted soon enough.

More as it comes.  Post any links you come across here.  The film looks to be slightly divisive in the early stages.

Jonny Greenwood2009-11-24 22:21:47

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

a review do the sun é surrealista. especialmente quando diz que o Wahlberg impressiona.

O McCarthy deu a primeira facada:

"Alice Sebold's cheerily melancholy bestseller, centered upon a 14-year-old girl who narrates the story from heaven after having been brutally murdered, provides almost ready-made bigscreen material. But Jackson undermines solid work from a good cast with show-offy celestial evocations that severely disrupt the emotional connections with the characters.

"The book's rep, the names of Jackson and exec producer Steven Spielberg, and a mighty year-end push by Paramount/DreamWorks will likely put this over with the public to a substantial extent, but it still rates as a significant artistic disappointment.

"There has been cautious optimism among longtime Jackson followers that this material might inspire him to create a worthy companion piece to his 1994 Heavenly Creatures, which similarly involves teenagers and murder in an otherwise tranquil setting and remains far and away his best film.

"The potential was certainly there in the book, which reminds of Dennis Lehane's successfully filmed novels Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone in its devastating emotional trauma, but offers the distinctive perspective of the most entirely plausible omniscient narrator in modern literature.

"Unfortunately, the massive success Jackson has enjoyed in the intervening years with his CGI-heavy The Lord of the Rings saga (the source of which receives fleeting homage in a bookstore scene here) and King Kong has infected the way he approaches this far more intimate tale. Instead of having the late Susie Salmon occupy a little perch in an abstract heavenly gazebo from which she can peer down upon her family and anyone else -- all that is really necessary from a narrative point of view -- the director has indulged his whims to create constantly shifting backdrops depicting an afterlife evocative of The Sound of Music or The Wizard of Oz one moment, The Little Prince or Teletubbies the next.

"It's a shame, because the first half-hour or so suggests that Jackson, had he taken a vow to keep it real and use not a single visual effect, still has it in him to relate a human story in a direct, vibrant manner."

"When it sticks to the everyday neighborhood inhabited by its characters, The Lovely Bones, which was shot on Pennsylvania locations and in New Zealand studios, finds a reasonable equilibrium between drama and production values. When it ventures beyond it, heaven turns into Hades."

Jonny Greenwood2009-11-25 01:36:30

• Members

‘District 9’ an adapted screenplay after all

Posted by Kristopher Tapley · 6:56 pm · November 24th, 2009

When I surveyed

the rather weak field of original screenplay contenders two weeks ago,

one of the contenders I mentioned was Neill Blomkamp and Terri

Tatchell’s “District 9,” my assumption being that the vast departures from the original short film “Alive in Joburg” would be enough to warrant such a classification.

I guess I was wrong.

Screeners of the film have hit the doorsteps of awards voters this

week and one of the categories listed is — yep, Best Adapted

Screenplay.  Which means not only is the original field even thinner,

but the adapted field just got a little tighter.  Some have scoffed at

the idea of “Star Trek” being a player here, but what about “District 9,” one of the biggest surprise hits of the year?

• Members

Eu adorei o visual do filme, o trailer é grande demais, e ruim; gostei das atuações. Trailer bom recente só o de "Wild", tá difícil.

Talvez estejam tentando usar dos efeitos para atrair um público maior, usando também o nome do Jackson associado a SDA. Um trailer é muito rápido para mostrar alguma coisa além, mais sensível, e se estiverem querendo ligar a coisa toda aos efeitos, pior. Mas se o Jackson consegue estabelecer e construir personagens excelentes e com MUITA sensibilidade em filmes como "King Kong" e "SdA", estes sim poderiam, facilmente, ter tomado um caminho vazio, por causa do show de efeitos, conseguem segurar bem a emoção. Mas sim, claro, talvez ele tenha exagerado no visual, vício dos anteriores, não sei, até agora gosto de tudo que fez.

pantalaimon2009-11-26 00:35:04

• Members

First Invictus Review – “Soul-Stirring”

Posted by Sasha Stone On November - 26 - 20092 COMMENTS

invictus2

David Ansen at Newsweek has put out his first review of
Clint Eastwood Invictus, a film I think is one of the best of 2009.  We
were under embargo but since Ansen has already published his review, I
do believe all bets are off.  For me, it’s all good.  I have a feeling
that the way the critics react to a movie can sometimes be influenced
by the way the bloggers react first.  In other words, high expectations
often lead to disappointment, and thus, more harsh reviews.  Hatred of
the blogger can sometimes spur the backlash even further – so with
regard to high profile critics, it’s best to them release their reviews
first and thus, avoiding any kind of petty reaction that has nothing to
do with the film they saw but rather their need to separate themselves
from the consensus.

Have you all had enough of my amateur sociology lectures?

Here is Ansen on Invictus:

Invictus
is not a biopic; nor does it take us

deep inside any of its characters—Eastwood views Mandela from a

respectful middle distance. It’s about strategic inspiration. We

witness a politician at the top of his game: Freeman’s wily Mandela is

a master of charm and soft-spoken gravitas. Anthony Peckham’s sturdy,

functional screenplay, based on John Carlin’s book
Playing the Enemy

can be a bit on the nose (and the message songs Eastwood adds are

overkill). Yet the lapses fade in the face of such a soul-stirring

story—one that would be hard to believe if it were fiction. The wonder

of
Invictus
is that it actually went down this way.

Once I get official word that the embargo has been lifted, I will
share my review with you fine people.  I know, I know, alert the media….

Vazou Precious por aí em Dvdscr, quem vai se arriscar primeiro ? 06

As reações pro filme do Jackson tão bem divididas mesmo. Mas dizem que a Saiorse tá ótima, mesmo assim duvido que ela seje indicada.

--

The Road recebeu reações mistas mas to tri curioso pra ver, ouvi coisas  boas por aí ; E o Mortensen parece tá sensacional.

• Members

the lovely bones deve ser fraquíssimo, mas vai ser indicado por vários motivos: serão 10 vagas, vai ter boa bilheteria (o livro é um fenômeno nos EUA), o estúdio vai despejar rios na campanha, jackson/sarandon/tucci - entre outros - são muito queridos na indústria, o filme foi feito pra ser indicado - e a academia não resiste a isso.

sobre invictus, eles amam demais o homem pra não colocar entre os 10. só espero que não seja constrangedor como aquele com a jolie.

• Members

Reaparecendo do sumiço só para dizer que vi PRECIOUS.

Filme... curioso. Estava esperando um melodrama mais tradicional com aquele trailer e o envolvimento da Oprah, mas não é bem assim. Acho até pesado e controverso demais para conseguir vencer o Oscar de melhor filme. É quase sensacionalista demais, o diretor tem uma puta mão pesada. As sequencias de fantasia da protagonista me irritaram um pouco, queria que o filme se rendesse à desolação total da situação.

Não vejo a Gabourey Sidibe vencendo melhor atriz. Só se o filme for muito popular.

Indicação pra Mariah Carey é exagero também. Sua personagem mal tem um arco dramático, não aparece tanto quanto a Paula Patton. O mérito mesmo é se parecer com um ser humano normal. Deu sorte de aparecer em uma boa cena da Mo'Nique.

Agora, Mo'Nique... putz. Que monstro. A dona do filme. Em menos de cinco minutos a mulher já destrói tudo. Praticamente todas as suas cenas são Oscar clips (bem, tirando os palavrões... e uma cena 'adulta').

No geral, não achei ruim, mas não cogito uma vitória mesmo. A Academia não teria tanta coragem.

(Estou curioso também para ver se eles emplacam uma indicação em edição. Achei a edição questionável, mas se eles conseguirem uma indicação, ficarei intrigado com a recepção do filme.)thalesgn2009-11-27 16:25:34

• Members

Invictus, “Extraordinary Late-Career Run” for Eastwood

Posted by Sasha Stone On November - 27 - 200911 COMMENTS

invictus7

The usually curmudgeonly Todd McCarthy has been won over by Invictus:

Once again in his extraordinary late-career run,

Eastwood surprises with his choice of subject matter, here joining a

project Freeman had long hoped to realize. In fact, the filmmaker has

frequently dealt with racial issues in a conspicuously even-handed

manner, most notably in “Bird,” and his calm, equitable, fair-minded

directorial temperament dovetails beautifully with that of Mandela,

much of whose daily job as depicted here consisted of modifying and

confounding the more extreme views of many of his countrymen on both

side of the racial divide.

And:

Read the rest of this entry »

• Members
Reaparecendo do sumiço só para dizer que vi PRECIOUS.

Filme... curioso. Estava esperando um melodrama mais tradicional com aquele trailer e o envolvimento da Oprah' date=' mas não é bem assim. Acho até pesado e controverso demais para conseguir vencer o Oscar de melhor filme. É quase sensacionalista demais, o diretor tem uma puta mão pesada. As sequencias de fantasia da protagonista me irritaram um pouco, queria que o filme se rendesse à desolação total da situação.

[/quote']

Praticamente este sempre foi o medo que tive quando vi o trailer.
saulomeri2009-11-27 17:46:59

• Members

Acabei de ver Grey Gardens, e acho que num ano aparentemente fraco como este na categoria, Lange paparia seu terceiro Oscar num piscar de olhos.Isso, claro, se a fita fosse elegível.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two original songs from ‘Invictus’ join the race

Posted by Kristopher Tapley · 5:11 pm · November 27th, 2009

Morgan%20Freeman%20in%20InvictusEven

though trade reviews have popped up and there are enough little dutch

boys around to seal off the steadily breaking dam, certain parties are

still not permitted to discuss “Invictus”

in a review capacity.  However, I would like to offer up some thoughts

on two original songs from the film that should be added to that

category’s on-going conversation in this space.

“9,000 Days” and “Colorblind” are a pair of sentimental tracks

peppered throughout the film.  Both songs, as well as most of the

soundtrack, can be chalked up to the South Africa vocal group

Overtone.  “9,000 Days,” using William Earnest Henley’s poem “Invictus”

as a framing device, sounds curiously like Jamie Callum’s title track

for “Gran Torino” last year.  It’s a breezy, jazzy tune that also features Yollandi Nortjie.

“Colorblind,” meanwhile, from Overtone

on their own, is a little more difficult to defend.  From the schlock,

faux-emotive melody of the thing to the trite lyrics (which could

probably be determined from the nail-on-the-head title), it’s a fairly

miserable song.  And its usage in the film is swift, manipulative and

frankly distracting.

Suffice it to say, I don’t expect these tracks to play a major role

in this year’s race for Best Original Song, but they’re worth

mentioning in this robust year for the category regardless.

Cremildo2009-11-28 12:05:14

• Members

Acabei de ver Grey Gardens' date=' e acho que num ano aparentemente fraco como este na categoria, Lange paparia seu terceiro Oscar num piscar de olhos.Isso, claro, se a fita fosse elegível.

[/quote']

Eu particularmente preferi a Barrymore. Mas gostei bastante do filme, teria algumas chances se fosse elegível.

• Members

O Daniel Dy-Lewis deu uma entrevista sobre Nine e comentou que dentro de 18 meses deverá se reunir com Jim Sheridan para um projeto chamado Black Mass sobre o criminoso Whitey Bulger.

day-lewis+shreridan é uma boa notícia.

e claro que estou torcendo por invictus, Eastwood é um dos melhores da atualidade, pena que ano passado cagaram no patê e deixaram uma de suas melhores obra de fora - anos luz melhor que qualquer um dos 5 indicados.

batgody2009-11-28 12:43:11