Forum Cinema em Cena

Oscar 2010: Indicados e Previsões

MacGruber

• Members

Segundo essa crítica, Penélope Cruz é o grande destaque de "Broken Embraces". Pode pintar outra indicação pra ela:

TORONTO: Penelope Cruz and ‘Broken Embraces’

Posted by John Foote · 12:06 pm · September 12th, 2009

Penelope%20Cruz%20in%20Broken%20EmbracesWhen did Penelope Cruz become such a great actress? This was a woman  I could barely stand looking at on screen not more than five years ago, yet now she is an absolute delight, with depth, emotion, and the ability to find the truth in her characters, an innate ability that is downright uncanny. God, her work in “Vanilla Sky” was painful and her performance in “Blow” was so shrill and terrible it was the sort of acting I’d label obscene.

Then saw “Volver” and was stunned by her work, blown away, knocked out and forever silenced about her talent. It is not the first time this has happened to me. I regularly attacked Julia Roberts until “Erin Brockovich” and “Closer” and was Joel Schumacher’s biggest detractor until “Tigerland.”  If my love of cinema has given me anything it’s the ability to admit when I am wrong, or when an artist has done something that surprised me enough to admit they possess an unexpected talent.

Cruz was lovely in “Volver” and richly deserving of the Oscar nomination she received, just as she deserved to win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress last year for her hell cat in “Vicky Christina Barcelona.”  There was something dark in her work last year for Woody Allen, something dangerous, something terribly sexy. And then to see her in “Elegy?”   It was an entirely different piece of work, equally good, but each of her 2008 performances displayed extraordinary range not seen before. Was the talent always there and the roles just weak? Or is it that Cruz simply grew as an actress?

Whatever the case, I now look forward to seeing her on screen, and her work in “Broken Embraces” (***) is again revelatory, work that should land her in the Best Actress race once again. I am not among those who fall over myself every time Pedro Almodóvar makes a film. I like his work, but I don’t love it. I concede he is a gifted man, among the great directors working today, and always someone who gives us a film worth watching.

Well, he has delivered us a gem with “Broken Embraces,” which is a mystery set in the world of filmmaking — sort of — with a blind writer/director, Mateo (Lluís Homar), leading a double life, brought face to face with his past and Lena (Cruz), a woman he and his producer fell in love with on a past production.  Lena gutted their worlds, tore the men apart, leaving each a wreck in her wake.

Cruz is brilliant, displaying, again, talent I didn’t know was there. A vicious schemer here, she portrays something new here, bringing a freshness to the film, elevating it above an average work. I quite liked Homar’s work as Mateo, who is wonderfully dignified, yet quietly frightened of what is happening to him and his life. As good as Homar is, though, the film belongs to Cruz, who dominates the work with the confidence of the great actress she has become.

formula60442009-09-12 18:41:01

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Elogios aumentados começam a surgir para a Julie por "A Single Man". Seria lindo vê-la indicada novamente.... .

Sem falar que estão começando a falar coisas boas do trabalho dela em Chloe tb... Seria um sonho vê-la indicada e vê-la vencer...Depois disso só falta mesmo a vitória da Annette Bening.06

Por favor! 3d17

• Members

Robert Duvall leaps onto the Oscar radar with ‘Get Low?’

Posted by Kristopher Tapley · 5:56 pm · September 12th, 2009

Robert%20Duvall%20in%20Get%20LowI

hate doing this from afar, but hey, we do what we can.  And I imagine

John will chime in with his thoughts on Aaron Schneider’s “Get Low” in

due time, but apparently the film received a standing ovation in Toronto tonight.  And word is, Robert Duvall might be on course for some Oscar attention.

Duvall stars in the film as a Tennessee hermit, derived from a

mixture of truth and folk tale, who famously threw his own funeral

while still alive.  I think in tandem with good graces for his cameo in

“The Road,” Duvall could be in the mix.  But the film needs a

distributor first.

Funnily enough I was in the middle of an email exchange with a

colleague regarding the lead actor Oscar race when I began putting this

post together.  As much as I loved “Up in the Air,” I don’t feel like

this is a win for George Clooney.  Plus, he already has a (recent)

statue.  Matt Damon is wonderful in “The Informant!,” but the film may

be too slight.  Of course, Morgan Freeman is still lurking.  But maybe

we have a potential winner here?  Duvall hasn’t won in 25 years, and

damn if he isn’t consistent (which can’t be said of a number of his

contemporaries).  There’s also Michael Caine flying under the radar in the still distributor-less “Harry Brown” to consider.

• Members

Outra crítica positiva para a atuação de Robert duvall em "Get Low":

TORONTO: Duvall the talk of the fest — shades of 1997

Posted by John Foote · 2:01 pm · September 13th, 2009

Robert%20Duvall%20in%20Get%20LowYou know a film is hot when it is the subject of conversation in the screening, in the press room, and in the hallways of the hotels where the press junkets and meetings are being held.  In 1997, “The Apostle,” the exquisite film directed, written by and starring Robert Duvall, was the talk of the Toronto film fest after its world premiere the night before, but in fact, the buzz started partway through the film when October Films and Miramax began a bidding battle that has become the stuff of legend.

Duvall left the festival with his career reborn, the film, which he financed, was sold (to October), and the multi-hyphenate began winning critics awards for the film at year’s end. The Los Angeles Film Critics Association named him Best Actor that year and a few weeks later the National Society of Film Critics did the same. Though snubbed for a Golden Globe nomination, he was nominated by both the Screen Actors Guild and the Academy, but he eventually lost to Jack Nicholson in “As Good as It Get.”

The film eventually nailed down a solid $24 million at the box office and Duvall’s performance is considered by and large one of his best.  He came back to a couple of years later with his new film “Assassination Tango,” a failure, and he is here again with two films — John Hillcoat’s “The Road,” which I will write about later today, and “Get Low,” a film recalling shades of the 1997 fest as it has captured the conversation here.

When the ovation for the latter finally concluded last night at the public screening, words spread very quickly about the picture.  This morning another, more modest ovation greeted the film as the press applauded — something of a rarity.  And there is due cause.  Robert Duvall’s performance in “Get Low” is his best since “Broken Trail,” for which he won an Emmy Award as Best Actor.  It is one of those characters that he seems to have been born to play, a hermit, living alone in the woods for 40 years, the subject of gossip and scorn in a small town.

Set in the 1930s, the film is a wonderfu character study, dominated by Duvall’s performance, but filled with strong work from veteran actors including Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray.  Duvall portrays Felix Bush, a man with a past, and though there are many legends about said past, only he and an old preacher friend know precisely what it is that has driven him into seclusion.

Felixx approaches the local funderal director, Frank (Murray) about a living funeral, where he invites everyone who ever had a story to tell about him to tell it, and he himself will set the record straight. He will also auction off his land, more than 300 acres, for a five-dollar ticket. Thousands of dollars pour into the funeral home, but as the day gets closer, Felix begins to struggle with his past and the shame of what drove him away from society.

His bizarre friendship with a young man who works in the funeral home seems to keep him on the straight path, but the question remains: will he do as he has promised and relate his life to these people who claim to know him all too well?

The film reminds one of a Horton Foote piece:  a character, flawed and with a past, trying to come to terms with a history that has haunted him for most of his life. A lover of Foote’s work, Duvall was at once attracted to the role and gives it his all. He is, as he is in his best roles, remarkable, slipping under the skin of Felix and creating one of his most memorable characters.

As I interviewed Duvall in the Park Hyatt Hotel, there was a distribution deal taking place downstairs so there is a very good chance the film will be seen this fall.  If so, the landscape of the Best Actor race has just changed. I think Duvall has to be considered the frontrunner for this miraculous performance. Again, the man proves he is perhaps our greatest actor, and in the words of the great acting guru Sanford Meisner, has been for a very long time. In the 1960s, before he really broke through as an actor, Meisner said, “There are two great actors in America. The first is Brando, but his best work is behind him. The other is Robert Duvall.”

I will have an interview with Duvall and director Aaron Schneider soon.  For now, it’s off to “The Road.”

Finalmente a Lauren vai ganhar o oscar honorário dela!

23wogeu.jpg

-------

De Toronto, Love and Other Impossible Pursuits recebeu reações mixas, mas com direitos a grandes elogios a atuação de Natalie Portman:

Natalie Portman delivers an utterly fearless performance in "Love and Other Impossible Pursuits," playing a bitter, borderline unlikable Manhattan home-wrecker subsumed by grief over the death of her infant daughter. As in his three earlier features, writer-director Don Roos ("Happy Endings") relishes true-to-life emotional complications, to the point of sacrificing both narrative cleanliness and universal appeal. Unsparing in its microscopic inspection of damaged characters, including Lisa Kudrow's comically angry wronged wife, "Love" tests the limits of a viewer's tolerance for pain and should garner significant respect from those who like their upscale melodrama on the lacerating side.

• Members
Com certeza.  E por melhor que sejam as atuações premiadas da Swank' date=' nas duas ocasiões Bening era melhor, tanto por Beleza Americana quanto por Adorável Julia, pelo menos é o que eu acho.[/quote']

Concordo. Adoro Swank em Boys Don't Cry e Million Dollar Baby, mas peitar a Bening jamais (ainda mais a Bening em Being Julia. Aí é que foi injusto mesmo)!

• Members

Jeffrey Wells diz que o tal filme da Annette Bening COM CERTEZA será um candidato a Melhor Filme, o que só aumentaria as chances dela: 16

I've just come from the first TIFF screening of Rodrigo Garcia's

Mother and Child, and if someone picks it up and puts it into NY and LA

theatres before 12.31, it's a Best Picture contender -- guaranteed, hands down, take it to the bank.

Because sophisticated filmgoers of a certain age are going to cream

over this -- trust me. All right, don't...I don't care. I know what I

know and I go to sleep with that every night.

On top of this Annette Bening, who gives what I feel is possibly the best performance of her life in this film, will be a Best Actress contender.

Here's the rest:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/..._it_gets_1.php

• Members

E as reações do filme da Drew Barrymore? Está surpreendendo, não? Chances no Oscar, talvez?

The Hollywood Reporter

Bottom Line: Some old material given a delightful new grrrl-power twist.

Variety

Laced with good-natured hipster kitsch and endearingly goofy girl

power, director Drew Barrymore's roller-derby dramedy, "Whip It," is a

gas.

• Members

O filme da Barrymore parece ser um filme gostoso de se ver, ela está apenas tendo um bom começo, chance no Oscar não né, no Golden Globe talvés(o filme não a direção), eu queria ver essa mulher fazendo coisas que me assustem, emocione e que me deixem com raiva. Já cansei de apenas sorrir vendo seus filmes.

e GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bening (eu amo essa mulher).

• Members

2009 OSCAR PREDICTIONS

oscarside.jpg

Contenders | Archives

UPDATED: 9/14/2009

Motion Picture

nine.jpg

“Amelia”

“An Education”

“The Hurt Locker”

“Invictus”

“Nine”

“Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire”

“A Serious Man”

“The Tree of Life”

“Up”

“Up in the Air”

Directing

sidedirector.jpg

Kathryn Bigelow
“The Hurt Locker”

Clint Eastwood
“Invictus”

Rob Marshall
“Nine”

Lee Daniels
"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"

Jason Reitman
“Up in the Air”

Actor in a
Leading Role

duvall5.jpg

George Clooney
“Up in the Air”

Matt Damon
“The Informant!”

Daniel Day-Lewis
“Nine”

Robert Duvall
“Get Low”

Morgan Freeman
“Invictus”

Actress in a
Leading Role

sideactress.jpg

Carey Mulligan
“An Education”

Saoirse Ronan
"The Lovely Bones"

Gabourey Sidibe

Meryl Streep
“Julie & Julia”

Hilary Swank
“Amelia”

Actor in a
Supporting Role

waltz.jpg

Matt Damon
“Invictus”

Alfred Molina
“An Education”

Bill Murray
“Get Low”

Stanley Tucci
“The Lovely Bones”

Christoph Waltz
“Inglourious Basterds”

Actress in a
Supporting Role

sidesactress.jpg

Penélope Cruz
“Nine”

Judi Dench
“Nine”

Anna Kendrick
“Up in the Air”

Mo'Nique

Susan Sarandon
“The Lovely Bones”

Writing
(Adapted Screenplay)

lovely.jpg

“An Education”

“The Lovely Bones”

“Nine”

“Up in the Air”

Writing
(Original Screenplay)

serious4.jpg

“Get Low”

“The Hurt Locker”

“A Serious Man”

“The Tree of Life”

“Up”

Art Direction

potter.jpg

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”

“Inglourious Basterds”

“Nine”

“A Serious Man”

“Sherlock Holmes”

Cinematography

depp1.jpg

“The Hurt Locker”

“The Lovely Bones”

“Nine”

“Publc Enemies”

“The Tree of Life”

Costume Design

sideascript.jpg

“Bright Star”

“Chéri”

“Inglourious Basterds”

“Nine”

“The Young Victoria”

Film Editing

hurt.jpg

“Avatar”

“The Hurt Locker”

“The Lovely Bones”

“Nine”

“Star Trek”

Makeup

star.jpg

“District 9”

“The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus”

“Star Trek”

Music
(Original Score)

frog.jpg

“Amelia”

“The Informant!”

“The Princess and the Frog”

“The Tree of Life”

“Up”

Music
(Original Song)

wild2.jpg

“Nine”

“Nine”

“The Princess and the Frog”

“Where the Wild Things Are”

Sound Editing

sidescore.jpg

“Avatar”

“The Hurt Locker”

“Star Trek”

“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen”

“Up”

Sound Mixing

sidesoundmix.jpg

“Avatar”

“Nine”

“The Hurt Locker”

“Star Trek”

“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen”

Visual Effects

“Avatar”

“District 9”

“Star Trek”

Animated Feature Film

sidecoraline.jpg

“Coraline”

“Ponyo”

“Up”

Previsões atualizadas do site "In Contention".

• Members

Se Amelia for indicado a melhor filme, eu não verei o Oscar 2010 (a não ser que o Tarantino seja).

Sobre animações, acho que poderiam dar um tempo na Pixar, até porque, Up não faz nem parte do TOP 5 da produtora. Seria mais interessante se dessem o lugar para The Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson 16) ou The Princess and the Frog (retorno da Disney ao 2-D 16).
Luizz2009-09-15 18:35:37