Forum Cinema em Cena

Oscar 2006

Sync

• Members

Mais uma crítica de Munique:

Spielberg's 'Munich' Is Best Movie of 2005

I don't know which is more amazing: that Steven Spielberg managed to make the best movie of the year in just four months' date=' or that it's his second huge film of 2005.

Either way, "Munich" is a poignant political masterpiece that will no doubt be very controversial.

It's the best movie of 2005, coming in at the last minute to best other terrific entries, including "Walk the Line," "Match Point," "Capote," "Mrs. Henderson Presents," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "A History of Violence" and even "Memoirs of a Geisha."

"Munich" is "inspired by real events," those being the 1972 murders of the Israeli wrestling team in Munich during the Olympics and the fallout that followed.

The filmmaker says "inspired by" and I will take him at his word. There is not going to be an anti-"Munich" campaign in which factual details are matched up to the movie's sequences. This is not "A Beautiful Massacre."

It's certainly mind-blowing, in many ways, that Spielberg made this movie at all.

He released his popcorn movie of the year, "War of the Worlds," in June. He didn't start work on "Munich" until July 15.

The final scene was shot, I believe, around Sept. 22 in New York, with Geoffrey Rush and Eric Bana. That's not much turnaround time.

And yet, as far as I can tell, there are no huge mistakes in "Munich." Even the music is from 1972 — Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" and Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" are from that year. The movie's look, from the sets, props, costumes and hairstyles to Janusz Kaminski's tinted cinematography, is also vintage.

Spielberg, in fact, seems like he's taken a page out of Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney's playbook. He's outdone "Traffic" and "Syriana" at the same time.

If it weren't based on a historic tragedy, you would say that "Munich" was a better version of the "Mission: Impossible" movies. It's hard to put the facts aside, but if you do, "Munich" is very good entertainment.

Bana — who certainly should be nominated for Best Actor — is the convincing and heroic lead. He plays Avner, a Mossad officer chosen by Israeli intelligence to lead an elite squad of agents whose mission is to kill the Palestinian terrorists who murdered the Olympic team.

Bana is enlisted by Geoffrey Rush, and then picks a team played by Daniel Craig (the new James Bond, in a surprisingly small role), Ciarah Hinds, Mathieu Kassovitz and Hanns Zischler.

They are all very good, especially Hinds, but there are two standout performances by Mathieu Amalric and Michael Lonsdale as a French son and father at the center of international intrigue. I don't know if either of them are on screen enough, but they might each qualify for supporting-actor nods.

Bana, whose credits include the praised "Chopper" and the reviled "Troy," not to mention a stint as Ang Lee's "Hulk," vaults to stardom in "Munich," whether he likes it or not.

In a complicated movie full of disarming violence and philosophical questions about retribution, Bana's Avner is a guiding light. He is Spielberg's most clearly drawn adult male hero since Indiana Jones — and that includes "E.T."'s Elliott, Oskar Schindler and Bruce, the shark from "Jaws."

In many ways, I felt like Spielberg had been working his way up to Avner in his last few central characters: Tom Hanks in "The Terminal," Leonardo DiCaprio in "Catch Me If You Can" and Tom Cruise in "War of the Worlds."

There will be plenty of debate over whether Spielberg favored the Israelis or demonized the Palestinians in this movie. But the terrific screenplay by Tony Kushner and Eric Roth goes a long way to solve these problems.

The Israelis are shown as conflicted by their task; the Palestinians are made multi-dimensional through their own explanation of what went on. Spielberg doesn't attempt to address the entire Middle East conflict, just to deal with this moment in 1972.

And there are the trademark Spielbergian touches, too: Avner often stares longingly into a kitchen store window, where all the appliances are pristine and life is perfect. It's where he meets Louis (Amalric) to get information, but you know the whole time he's thinking of his beautiful wife and newborn baby.

The 1972 kitchens — avocado-colored dishwashers, etc — make the perfect antidote to the bloody killing going on all around him.

"Munich" is for real. It joins "Schindler's List," "Saving Private Ryan," "Amistad" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" on Spielberg's "serious" film list.

The 2005 Oscars are all his for the taking.

[/quote']

UAU!!!  smiley4.gif

Que rave!

Quem escreveu, Meri?

• Members

Tá virando uma palhaçada esse NBR' date=' ia ser segunda, ai passou pra quarta e agora segunda que vem!  Passei o dia inteiro no trabalho louco pra chegar em casa e saber os vencedoressmiley7.gif

[/quote']

Idem.

Com a exceção de que eu já estava em casa desde manhã. smiley17.gif

A Sasha Stone, do OscarWatch, aliás, também não se entusiasmou muito com Munique. Espero ansioso pela opinião de Roger Ebert.

E Novo Mundo está com boas críticas no Rotten Tomatoes.

• Members

Tá virando uma palhaçada esse NBR' date=' ia ser segunda, ai passou pra quarta e agora segunda que vem!  Passei o dia inteiro no trabalho louco pra chegar em casa e saber os vencedores, só falta o Globo de Ouro adiar tbmsmiley7.gif

[/quote']

Desculpe a ignorÂncia, mas oq é NBR?

• Members

A National Board Review é uma associação de críticos americanos que , tradicionalmente , lança em dezembro uma lista de melhores filmes do ano . Essa lista é sempre muito esperada porque , na maioria das vezes , traz os nomes dos filmes com chances nas premiações .<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Members

• Members

Exatamente , Guidon . Não poderia deixar de lembrar que a nossa compatriota se revelou apta a concorrer entre as estrelas hollywoodianas quando foi eleita a melhor atriz de 1998 pela NBR .<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

National Board of Review, USA

Year

Result

Award

Category/Recipient(s)

Won

NBR Award

Best Actress
Fernanda Montenegro

Best Foreign Language Film
Brazil/France. Fernando38694.042662037

• Members

Geralmente é dela o primeiro anúncio mais significativo para a corrida do Oscar. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Maiores informações sobre o NBR , como a lista completa de filmes vencedores, foram postadas na página 275 pelo Ronny .Não custa lembrar ...

http://www.cinemaemcena.com.br/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=655 6&PN=1&TPN=275

Fernando38694.0820138889

• Members

It's an honor just to be nominated

'Tis the season for Oscar hopefuls to be modest

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- With

three months to go until Hollywood's big night, Academy Awards

contenders already are practicing their speeches.

Not their

winners' speeches, but the humble-pie patter about how they don't give

the Oscars the slightest thought. Whether for fear of sounding like

egomaniacs or jinxing their chances, most stars play modest even as

they fantasize about hoisting that little gold statuette.

"I

don't know what kind of lies filmmakers tell you, and I could be

accused of vanity for admitting I think about it," says director

Bennett Miller," whose "Capote" put Philip Seymour Hoffman in the

best-actor race. "I think it's vanity ... to say that you don't.

Because you do."

Moderation is the key. Acknowledge that the

recognition of your peers would be nice, but that such honors are out

of your hands -- and were the furthest thing from your mind when making

the film.

"I don't like to have to dream about those kinds of

things," said Ziyi Zhang, a possible best-actress nominee as a poor

girl who rises to prominence in "Memoirs of a Geisha." "I care about my

work and just try to do my best. Afterward, you can't control what

happens. If it's a good movie, maybe we'll have a chance."

"If my

work is recognized in that way, great," said Claire Danes, who has

caught Oscar buzz for the romantic drama "Shopgirl." "If not, that's

fine. That's not why I do the work that I do. I just want people to

have a chance to reflect on their own lives while watching my movies."

That's

precisely the sort of rhetoric favored by the Academy of Motion Picture

Arts and Sciences, whose 5,800 actors, filmmakers and other industry

professionals vote on the Oscars, whose nominations come out January 31

with the awards following March 5. Academy management frowns on

anything that smacks of campaigning.

The best strategy for stars

and directors is to keep visible enough through interviews and public

appearances, but never look as though they're glad-handing for an Oscar.

Too

much exposure can backfire. During the 1999 Oscar race, best-actress

front-runner Annette Bening of "American Beauty" looked as though she

was running for office with endless appearances on talk shows and at

Hollywood events. She lost to Hilary Swank for "Boys Don't Cry."

Two

years later, "Moulin Rouge" director Baz Luhrmann was everywhere

talking up his film. It was nominated for best picture and seven other

awards -- but Luhrmann was shut out in the directing category.

"There

actually can be a backlash," said Tom O'Neil, who oversees

TheEnvelope.com, a Web site that tracks entertainment awards. "They've

got to tread that delicate balance."

Theron: 'I'm incredibly blessed'

On

the other extreme, contempt is a recipe for losing. Sean Penn was

scornful about awards and didn't bother showing up Oscar night the

first three times he was nominated, losing each time. Two years ago, he

played nice, attended the Oscars and won best actor for "Mystic River."

Actors

also want to avoid getting stung by Oscar hopes when their movies flop.

Colin Farrell had that experience with last year's epic historical bomb

"Alexander," a presumed Oscar contender until people actually got a

look at it.

This time, Farrell stars in another historical epic,

"The New World," playing colonial leader John Smith, and says he is

giving no thought to the Oscars.

Sean Penn (right) won the Oscar for his performance in "Mystic River" after changing his attitude towards the awards.

"Not

at all, man. Honest to God," Farrell said. "I came into 'Alexander,'

and that was on everyone's radar. So any potential for me to have a

radar has since been plucked out."

Then there are actors who

already have one. You know they wouldn't mind another, because everyone

likes having a spare. But they don't want to sound greedy.

"I've

won one. I'm incredibly blessed," said Charlize Theron, a best-actress

winner for "Monster," who has a shot at another nomination for the

blue-collar drama "North Country." "Can you imagine, 'Yes, I can't wait

for my second Oscar,' " Theron joked, slipping into a haughty voice.

Actors

and filmmakers do feel comfortable talking about the Oscars in terms of

the attention they bring to smaller movies that might grab bigger

audiences.

On "Capote," Hoffman not only stars as author Truman

Capote but also is an executive producer. So he doesn't mind

considering how overall Oscar attention might help his film.

"That's

really where I allow myself to be excited," Hoffman said. "The fact

that awards season might bring attention to the film, that more people

than we ever imagined might see this film in theaters, that's really a

rush."

When it comes to candor about the Oscars, Shirley MacLaine

may take the best-actress prize. The five-time nominee, who won best

actress for "Terms of Endearment," was blunt about the possibility of

winning again, this time for her supporting role as a grandma in the

sibling-rivalry tale "In Her Shoes."

"I love to win those things.

Love it," MacLaine said. "The only part about it I don't like is the

red carpet and getting a dress and walking around in high heels and

holding in my stomach. I hate that."

• Members

São Paulo, quarta-feira, 07 de dezembro de 2005 - Ilustrada /Folha de SP :

"2 Filhos de Francisco" investe na ida ao Oscar <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

DA REPORTAGEM LOCAL

Los Angeles assiste hoje à segunda sessão do longa brasileiro "2 Filhos de Francisco", em campanha pela indicação ao Oscar de melhor filme estrangeiro.
"Estamos a toda [com a campanha nos EUA]", diz Leonardo Monteiro de Barros, sócio do diretor do longa, Breno Silveira, na Conspiração Filmes, uma das produtoras do título.
Com patrocínio de um banco privado, apoio do Itamaraty e da distribuidora Sony Pictures, os produtores do filme estão investindo US$ 130 mil (R$ 285 mil) para torná-lo visível entre os 58 pré-candidatos na categoria.
A Academia de Artes e Ciências Cinematográficas de Hollywood divulga no dia 31/1 os cinco selecionados para a disputa.
No último dia 25, a Academia promoveu em Los Angeles a sessão oficial de "2 Filhos de Francisco" nesta fase classificatória.
Quem assina o convite de hoje, enviado "a artistas, jornalistas e formadores de opinião", é a associação Producers Guild of America, segundo Barros, que foi a Los Angeles com Silveira.
Eles aguardam a presença do diretor Walter Salles na sessão e muitos convidados do músico Caetano Veloso (autor da trilha do longa) na próxima projeção, prevista para o dia 13 de dezembro, em Nova York.
"Estamos tendo um superapoio do Caetano e também de Fernando Meirelles ["Cidade de Deus'], Walter Salles ["Central do Brasil'] e da família Barreto ["O Quatrilho", "O que É Isso, Companheiro?']", diz Barros, citando os veteranos brasileiros no Oscar.
"É positiva" a expectativa da Conspiração. "Nosso filme tem excelente aceitação. Tem música, criança, superação. Não é do tipo que carrega polêmica. Numa campanha que, às vezes, é decidida por um voto de diferença, isso é importante", avalia Barros.
(SILVANA ARANTES)

O filme foi lançado em DVD . É "bem-feitinho" , mas bem superestimado .  Não aguento mais ouvir falar nele !

Fernando38694.168587963

• Members

São Paulo' date=' quarta-feira, 07 de dezembro de 2005 - Ilustrada /Folha de SP :

"2 Filhos de Francisco" investe na ida ao Oscar <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

DA REPORTAGEM LOCAL

Los Angeles assiste hoje à segunda sessão do longa brasileiro "2 Filhos de Francisco", em campanha pela indicação ao Oscar de melhor filme estrangeiro.
"Estamos a toda [com a campanha nos EUA']", diz Leonardo Monteiro de Barros, sócio do diretor do longa, Breno Silveira, na Conspiração Filmes, uma das produtoras do título.
Com patrocínio de um banco privado, apoio do Itamaraty e da distribuidora Sony Pictures, os produtores do filme estão investindo US$ 130 mil (R$ 285 mil) para torná-lo visível entre os 58 pré-candidatos na categoria.
A Academia de Artes e Ciências Cinematográficas de Hollywood divulga no dia 31/1 os cinco selecionados para a disputa.
No último dia 25, a Academia promoveu em Los Angeles a sessão oficial de "2 Filhos de Francisco" nesta fase classificatória.
Quem assina o convite de hoje, enviado "a artistas, jornalistas e formadores de opinião", é a associação Producers Guild of America, segundo Barros, que foi a Los Angeles com Silveira.
Eles aguardam a presença do diretor Walter Salles na sessão e muitos convidados do músico Caetano Veloso (autor da trilha do longa) na próxima projeção, prevista para o dia 13 de dezembro, em Nova York.
"Estamos tendo um superapoio do Caetano e também de Fernando Meirelles ["Cidade de Deus'], Walter Salles ["Central do Brasil'] e da família Barreto ["O Quatrilho", "O que É Isso, Companheiro?']", diz Barros, citando os veteranos brasileiros no Oscar.
"É positiva" a expectativa da Conspiração. "Nosso filme tem excelente aceitação. Tem música, criança, superação. Não é do tipo que carrega polêmica. Numa campanha que, às vezes, é decidida por um voto de diferença, isso é importante", avalia Barros.
(SILVANA ARANTES)

O filme foi lançado em DVD . É "bem-feitinho" , mas bem superestimado .  Não aguento mais ouvir falar nele !

acho q eh mto carnaval prum filme q nem eh isso tudo

• Members

Podem ficar tranquilos que até o momento, 2 de Filhos de Francisco não tem chance nehuma de levar o Oscar.

Mais noticias:

New York Film Critics Online Will Be First

Now that NBR has set its awards announcement for December 12, the press releases to be followed that day by those of the New York Film Critics Circle and on December 17 by the L.A. reviewers, New York Film Critics Online will likely be the first critics' group in the country to announce its choices for the best of 2005.

NYFCO will meet December 11 and send awards results to publicists and worldwide media. We've received placements in print, broadcast and web-based journals from New York to New Delhi.

Variety Raves King Kong

Todd McCarthy of Variety on Kong:

It's the Return of the King all over again, and he's got a dazzling Queen. Almost too much of a good thing, Peter Jackson's remake of the film that made him want to make movies is a super-sized version of a yarn that was big to begin with, a stupendous adventure that maximizes, and sometimes oversells, its dazzling wares; but, no matter how spectacular the action, "King Kong" is never more captivating than when the giant ape and his blond captive are looking into each others' eyes. Universal and Jackson's B.O. haul in all markets is destined to be huge -- "Rings"EW Gives Kong an A - Calls Jackson the Best Filmmaker Working Today

EW Gives Kong an A - Calls Jackson the Best Filmmaker Working Today

Lisa Schwarzbaum was wowed by Kong (who wouldn't be?) enough to give it a solid A, with this opening paragraph:

There's a new king in town. He roams the jungle with unmatched strength, and when he prowls his territory, other creatures must bow to his awesome primacy. I'm referring, of course, to Peter Jackson, the New Zealand filmmaker whose thrilling reinterpretation of King Kong is one of the wonders of the holiday season. As a follow-up to his triumphant Lord of the Rings trilogy, the movie seals Jackson's reputation: He's the most gifted big-picture artist working today, a master of epics from a human-eye view who excels at employing 21st-century technological wizardry to suit the needs of ageless, personal storytelling.

Elessar7738694.3936458333

• Members

Que bobagem!  Dois Filhos foi um dos filmes mais superestimados dos últimos anos, eu achei apenas um bom filme, muito bem feito e interpretado.  Mas dai a dizer que vai ficar magoado, faça-me o favor, se ele ganhar ou ser indicado foi pq a Academia achou digno de tais.  Eu torço muito pelo filme e acho que tem grandes chances de indicação, já que está se criando um lobby e um buzz bem interessante.  E dizer que o filme não tem chances é no mínimo equivocado, já que essa é a categoria mais imprevisível de todas.  Estou feliz pelo filme e vou torcer até o último momento.