Forum Cinema em Cena

Desejo e Reparação (Atonement)

Bob Harris

• Members
In all a very POWERFUL film.

And yes James McAvoy IS geting nominated for this.

All the three actresses playing Briony are AMAZING and expect Oscar recognition for Garai who really gives a very subtle yet dominating performance in secind half of the movie.

And my advice to future movie goers, do go in with some tissues you will need them.

Esses comentários são muito curiosos. Cada um demonstra ter preferência por uma Briony. 06

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Fiquei MUITO feliz com os comentários!!!
Aehhh 05

Realmente, lizzy.. Depois de ler que é, talvez, o melhor filme britânico de toda a história.. Não poderia estar mais contente.

Ah. E alteraram o final... Ficou interessante.

SPOILERS

No desfecho do filme, Briony é entrevistada e revela tudo sobre o seu livro, ao contrário do livro.. Neste Briony mantém certa interlocução com o leitor. 03

• Members

Realmente' date=' lizzy.. Depois de ler que é, talvez, o melhor filme britânico de toda a história.. Não poderia estar mais contente.

SPOILERS

No desfecho do filme, Briony é entrevistada e revela tudo sobre o seu livro, ao contrário do livro.. Neste Briony mantém certa interlocução com o leitor. 03
[/quote']

Como eu vou conseguir esperar? hahahahaha! 06

• Members

Realmente' date=' lizzy.. Depois de ler que é, talvez, o melhor filme britânico de toda a história.. Não poderia estar mais contente.

SPOILERS

[/quote']

Como eu vou conseguir esperar? hahahahaha! 06

Nem fala. Estou muito entusiasmado e só estréia aqui em fevereiro. 040404

Talvez recorra a meios alternativos. 19

• Members

Outros comentários:

"I saw the film in Stratford yesterday and i

thought it was absolutly brilliant - even better than what i expected.

The way the story is told is breathtaking and so are the performances

from all the cast. James McAvoy was incredible in his role and

definalty deserves an Oscar nom but Keira Knightley definaly stole the

show. She was completly mesmerising as Cecelia. Keira definaly deserves

not only to be nominated but to actually win an oscar for this film.

The film pulls together brilliantly with everyone in the ensemble cast

performing brilliantly. The film was heart-breakin at the end as Briony

tell how she couldnt appologise for what she did because Robbie and

Cecelia died before she could. I honstely cried when Cecelia died. The

way she looked up just as the water comes down was devistating. This

film is an absolute masterpiece and deserves to be huge at the Oscars

next year"

Fonte: Aqui

"Atonement is a technically and visually stunning

film. The hues in the first act are almost overly saturated with

richness, and this contrasts starkly to the second act, where cold

hospital wards and mucky brown war dugouts fill the screen. The

costumes are all realistic and accurate, though I personally favour the

glamorous designs of the first half, which include a mesmerizing green

dress that Cecelia wears. The cinematography, which encompasses long

takes, tracking shots, lingering pans all attribute to the visual flair

of the movie. But the key stylistic element that stood out for me, was

the score. The piano theme is elegiac and melancholy, and the cello and

violins also add to the sadness of the romance. Also, the use of a

typewriter as an instrument, though started oddly, soon becomes

infectious and it even forces its way into viewer’s minds, making

Robbie’s note (and the consequences) unforgettable.

Joe Wright and Working Title have made a film to

be proud of. Amidst some incredible scenes (an extremely erotic library

non-reading session between Robbie and Cecelia) as well as the fountain

scene are amongst the many that will remain with viewers long after the

credits have rolled. The quality and calibre of films that Working

Title have turned out recently have been brilliant (Pride &

Prejudice, Hot Fuzz, etc) and Atonement ranks up there along with my

personal favourites Dead Man Walking and The Hudsucker Proxy. It is a

wonderfully crafted, beautifully lush and immensely moving film that

shows, above all, how storytelling can both destroy and heal. By the

time the final surprise occurs (keep your eyes peeled for a cameo by a

smug movie director), you may or may not have decided whether or not

Briony has truly atoned for her mistake. But the film takes no sides,

gives no easy answers. Perhaps the book was right, and, “the attempt

was all.”"

Fonte: Aqui

Só comentários positivos até agora de quem viu o filme ontem 05 

• Members

Um comentário mais imparcial, de alguém que não leu o livro e não sabia muita coisa sobre o filme.

I just saw this film and thought it was truly an impressive work of art. I have never read the book and had no idea how the story went or ended. As old Briony spoke to the interviewer, I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

This film deserves any awards it wins - and I hope it wins a lot!

• Members

Mais um..

I saw it yesterday too and i thought it was great, probably one of the best literary adaptations i've seen.

i really liked the how the way briony saw things was separated from how they actually happened, it makes it lot more convincing as to how she would have been so confused about what was going on.

the cinematography was amazing, especially the recreation of dunkirk.

• Members

Depois de alguns dias sem novidades...

Uma crítica-matéria OFICIAL. 05

grit.gif

s.gif

Joe Wright: a new movie master

Director Joe Wright's spectacular adaptation of Ian McEwan's novel 'Atonement' opens the Venice Film Festival next week. He talks to David Gritten

Next Wednesday evening, the eyes of the entire film world will focus on English director Joe Wright. To the incessant flash of photographers' clicking cameras, he will stroll along a red carpet into the imposing Palazzo del Cinema in Venice and enter its auditorium, where the whole room will rise to applaud him. His new film Atonement, an adaptation of Ian McEwan's brilliant award-winning novel, has been chosen to open this year's Venice Film Festival. At 35, Wright is the youngest director to receive that accolade.

Keira%20Knightley%20in%20Joe%20Wrights%20adaptation%20of%20Atonement

Brittle: Keira Knightley's role in Atonement is her best work to date

It will be an impossibly heady night, but the aftermath promises even more. Critics who have seen Atonement have reacted with breathless superlatives, and its showing at Venice and subsequent release will almost certainly catapult Wright into the ranks of world-class film directors.

Given that Atonement is only the second feature film Wright has directed (the first was his version of Pride and Prejudice, with Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet), it seems he has come very far, very fast. Yet he has a different view.

"It doesn't feel that way," he says. "I'd made 14 hour's worth of TV drama before ever making a feature. It was nice on Pride and Prejudice - everyone treated me like a first-time director. But actually I'd done a bit of this before. So I feel it's a progression all the way from Nature Boy [a four-hour mini-series from 2000] to this.

"I don't think Atonement is perfect, but as Samuel Beckett said, 'Fail again, but fail better.' And I know I failed better on Atonement than on Pride and Prejudice."

Few would dispute it. Working with screenwriter Christopher Hampton, Wright has fashioned a ravishing adaptation that stays largely faithful to McEwan's complex narrative, including its three-act structure.

It opens in England on the hottest summer day of 1935. Briony Tallis, the young daughter of a wealthy family, and a would-be writer with a fertile imagination, spies on her older sister Cecilia (Knightley again) and her budding romance with Robbie (James McAvoy), the family housekeeper's son. Briony wrongly accuses Robbie of a serious crime, an act with dire consequences for the lovers' lives.

The film moves ahead to 1940, with Robbie as a soldier in France, desperately trying to get back home to Cecilia. Then the action switches to London; Briony, now 18 (and played by Romola Garai), works as a nurse to wounded soldiers in a conscious act of atonement. In a coda, Vanessa Redgrave plays Briony as a famous older writer, recalling these events in a TV interview.

If Atonement feels like a triumph, it's a totally British one. Every scene was shot in England (Redcar doubled for Dunkirk's dunes), the film is produced by the UK company Working Title, and almost all the cast and crew are locals. (A notable exception: Saoirse Ronan, who plays Briony at 13, is Irish.)

It's a picture with a strong directorial hand; Wright's influence is evident in some delightful touches. Young Briony is introduced with a musical theme based on the rhythms of clacking typewriter keys, establishing her as a storyteller. "I suggested it to [composer] Dario Marianelli," Wright admits.

He also artfully conveys the mutual, almost wordless lust felt by Robbie and Cecilia on a torrid summer's day: as in Pride and Prejudice (and indeed his best-known TV work, Charles II: The Power and the Passion, starring Rufus Sewell), he establishes dramatic relationships with a look, gesture or a lowering of the gaze, rather than by dialogue alone.

Wright is clearly attentive to his actors. Garai and the consistent McAvoy are as good as they have ever been on screen, while young Saoirse Ronan is a real discovery. As for Knightley, she responds better to Wright than to any other director; the brittle, haughty Cecilia, a young woman who keeps her emotions bottled up, is easily her best work to date.

Wright caused a stir last year by berating Bafta's British voters, who denied Knightley a best-actress nomination for playing Elizabeth Bennet. As voters for the Oscars and Golden Globes saw fit to nominate her, the snub seemed doubly harsh, and may have owed something to her celebrity and prominence in gossip magazines. But, after Atonement, it's unlikely she will need Wright to spring to her defence again.

"It isn't her fault," Wright protests. "I know some actors court the media, and Keira doesn't. She's incredibly beautiful, so she gets to be the face of Chanel, and that's great for a few bob, so good luck to her. But when she's making a film, that's all she cares about.

"When we made Atonement, the cast, some crew and I all stayed together in an old rented farmhouse in Shropshire [near Stokesay Court, which doubled as the Tallis family home]. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner there, and lived together in this basic but idyllic way. And we made a film down the road, five minutes away. That was our little world, and we couldn't have been happier. It was heaven, and it had nothing to do with Hello! magazine."

Wright mulls on this in his office, two funky-minimalist rooms with stripped wooden floors above a Soho street. He has an open face, a widescreen smile, tousled hair and a relaxed, easy manner.

He grew up in north London, where his parents founded a puppet theatre, the Little Angel in Islington. He is dyslexic, and left school without a single O-level. But he painted and made little Super-8 films, which was sufficient to get him admitted to Camberwell College of Art. Later he trained as a filmmaker at Central Saint Martins.

This self-made background sets him apart from many British film directors - and Wright has refreshingly unusual tastes in films and acting. There are no modern compromises with accents in Atonement, for instance: the well-to-do characters speak as such people did in 1935, with clipped, cold vowels.

"I find period interesting," Wright says. "With Atonement, I was trying to be specific to that time and seeing what extra emotions and drama it could bring. That meant playing with the convention of how people spoke in 1935, and the fact they never said what they meant.

"If you shorten your vowels, as people did then, there's a lot less place to express emotion. So then emotion is played in gestures, looks and repression."

He also wanted to revisit an older style of acting. "To me, naturalism is the death of drama. Lee Strasberg came along and the Method f***ed everything up. I find people like Celia Johnson are my favourite actors. I was brought up on films like Brief Encounter, and for me they expressed enormous truth. Marlon Brando does not have the monopoly on truth!"

That's typical of Wright's individuality - which shows in the way he makes films. Paul Webster, one of Atonement's producers, says of him: "He's a great romantic, a philosopher in his way, an interpreter of big ideas in cinematic form. He's one of the most exciting artists I have ever come across."

Wright doesn't see it that way. Because of his dyslexia, he says, he has always felt the need to catch up on what he has missed. "Every time I make a film, I feel it gives me the chance to learn something new. I've been lucky over the past few years. Things have just happened for me."

Those people in Venice, applauding Atonement next week, may beg to differ.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/08/24/bf-atonement-124.xml&DCMP=ILC-traffdrv07053100 Rike2007-08-23 21:33:38

• Members

E o Buzz sobre a Garai já começou..

Seeing red cross in dazzing Atonement

Romola Garai is talented, charming and dazzles in Atonement. But her co-star is a touchy subject.

O Artigo fala, basicamente, sobre o duelo em tela: Romola Garai x Keira Knightley. Elogiam muito as duas, em particular a Garai, apesar de reconhecerem que a Keira pode ser um obstáculo em premiações para ela.

• Members
  • Members

Movie rating:

4%20star%20rating.%20%20-%20very%20good. *%20-%20Watchable **%20-%20Average ***%20-%20Good ****%20-%20Very%20Good *****%20-%20Unmissable Rated%20by%20TV%20Times.

Year:

Running time:

122 mins

Certificate:

If you've read Ian McEwan's haunting novel you won't be disappointed by this excellent big screen outing. If you've not read the book and you don't mind a movie without car chases, explosions and 30ft killer robots from space, you are in for a treat.

Keira Knightley and James McAvoy both turn in taut, restrained performances as our star crossed lovers and Saoirse Ronan shines as the young Briony Tallis. 

Very little from the book is missing (McEwan's detailed account of being dived bombed by Stukas doesn't make the final cut - but the film is certainly no worse for it) and Joe Wright has wrung the absolute best out of his cast and Christopher Hampton's script.

As this is a preview (and not a full Sky Movies review) I can tell you reader - this movie moved me to tears (but in a good way...).

This feels like a quality product turned out by a team who have a real attachment to their source material and the end result is a thoughtful, moving and very polished film.

It's certainly an antidote for anyone still suffering a sugar rush headache brought on by the glut of brash, noisy, summer popcorn movies.

Pequena crítica. Não um 'Review', mas um comentário positivo. 05
Rike2007-08-28 12:35:23

• Members