• Members

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nicole and Kate go toe-to-toe

article-1097847-02D911F7000005DC-400_468x352.jpg

Nicole Kidman was wearing a stunning couture gown, and Ugg boots. It's the Christmas season's new look.

OK, only half-kidding. She was wearing Uggs (and a Puffa jacket), but just to keep warm in between scenes on the set of the movie musical Nine.

Kate Hudson was standing close by, but she sported knee-high, high-heel boots.
'I spend the whole day dancing on my tippy-toes in these,' she told us.

'You can dance in those?' Nicole marvelled. 'How do you,' the Oscar-winning actress wondered.

Kate demonstrated. 'I'm not leaning on my heel, see.'

Kate and Nicole were on set with Sophia Loren, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Fergie and Daniel Day Lewis plus scores of dancers, for director Rob Marshall to shoot the film's musical finale scene which called for each leading lady to parade themselves on a multi-platformed scaffold construction.

As they walked on, Day Lewis was watching from below, along with Marshall, four camera teams and legions of hair and make-up artists.

In the movie Day Lewis, a two-time Academy Award winner, plays Italian director Guido Contini and he's having a nervous breakdown.
The women I have observed in the flesh are playing the women from his life - mamma, mistress, wife, muse, best friend, prostitute and Vogue writer - and the film's downright sexy musical numbers are fantasies in Guido's head.

Marc Platt, who is producing the film with Harvey Weinstein (he made Chicago, which won a best film Oscar, with Marshall), explained that Nine has the essence of Federico Fellini's classic film 8 1/2 and the stage musical Nine, upon which it was based, but that the film 'is its own thing'.

For starters, Nine composer and lyricist Maury Yeston wrote two new songs and director Marshall and Anthony Minghella shaped the screenplay very differently from Fellini's movie and the theatre show.
Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodovar, who was visiting the set at the same time as me, observed later that he sensed the spirit of Fellini on sound-stage H, and that he was moved watching Penelope Cruz and Sophia Loren, his idol.

Nicole was heading to New York to spend Christmas with husband Keith Urban, their daughter Sunday Rose, and Nicole's family, who are flying over from Australia.

'After we've finished Nine I'm going home to grow vegetables,' she said laughing.

Penelope will use her Christmas break to go collect all the year-end best supporting-actress awards she has amassed from critics' groups across the U.S. for her role in Woody Allen's astute comedy exploring emotional chaos, Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
That movie opens here in February with Nine premiering around this time next year.

• Members

• Members
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Vai estrear no feriado de ação de graças contra Old Dogs, uma comédia com John Travolta e Robin Williams. E ainda vai encarar a segunda semana de Lua Nova (continuação de Crepúsculo).

Mas pela data parece que os Weinstein estão apostando no sucesso do filme.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dancing with blistered hands, that’s what I call Cruz control

Suffered for her art: Penelope Cruz

Penelope Cruz suffered for her art when doing a rope dance for the movie musical Nine.

The Oscar-nominated actress got blisters on her hands when

performing the intricate choreography for the fabulously sexy number

Call From The Vatican in director Rob Marshall’s film. (Marshall’s 2002

film Chicago won several Oscars, including best picture.)

‘I have to come down a pink slope and then dangle and dance with rope and I got blisters,’ she said.

‘When something like that happens, you just have to keep going and

forget about any physical pain. I was dancing in the dark with one

spotlight on me, so I had to be extremely alert and focused.

‘There were other things to think about, so I was not in pain while

dancing — I was just praying not to fall!’ Penelope told me before she

travelled to Rome to continue filming.

‘You carry on and forget the pain, and at the end of the day you

see all the blisters and bruises.’ Penelope told me she wept after

performing the number for the last time — but not with pain.

‘I couldn’t stop crying, because I had been doing dance classes and

rehearsals for so many months. It’s in the film and it will be there

for ever, but I don’t get to do it again. I was addicted to it!’

Penelope proclaimed.