While Neeson

did not give away any details, he mentioned that out of the two

thousand books that are out there about the President, he has already

read twenty two.

For his research, Neeson visited Lincoln's home: "I've

been there. I've been to Washington, I've held his wallet, I've said a

prayer on the Bible he was inaugurated on. Still ongoing… there's an

extraordinary Lincoln bicentennial committee, a place I go to in

Washington. I got to know this guy Michael Bishop who's the co-chair.

He gave me access to all this Lincoln stuff. I read his personal

letters and stood on the stage at Ford's Theater."

---

headline5371.jpgNewsweek

reports that Sally Field has joined the cast of Steven Spielberg's

upcoming Abraham Lincoln biopic, entitled "Lincoln." It is based on

Doris Kearns Goodwin's book "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of

Abraham Lincoln," with Liam Neeson set to play the President and Field as his wife, Mary Todd.

Three

of her four kids didn't live to adulthood, and her husband was shot as

he held her hand. If anyone ever deserved to go crazy, it was Mary Todd

Lincoln, wife of the 16th U.S. president. "She had the most tragic public life in American history," says James Cornelius, curator of the Lincoln Collection at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library in Springfield, Ill.

The site mentions that in February 2009, it will be the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth.

-felipe-2007-09-27 09:36:42

• Members

Acho ela simpática. Vamos ver...

Não espero muito. 99% de chance de ser mais um filme patriótico americano, aonde louvam seus méritos bélicos, de "sonho americano", liberdade (dá vontade de rir desse), etc...

Ou seja, um filme pra levar um balde, sem pipoca, para vomitar depois dos olhos exaustos de ver planos amplos de batalha e bandeiras americanas balançando ao vento.

Mas ei, tomara que me surpreenda.

• Members

Acho ela simpática. Vamos ver...

Não espero muito. 99% de chance de ser mais um filme patriótico americano' date=' aonde louvam seus méritos bélicos, de "sonho americano", liberdade (dá vontade de rir desse), etc...

Ou seja, um filme pra levar um balde, sem pipoca, para vomitar depois dos olhos exaustos de ver planos amplos de batalha e bandeiras americanas balançando ao vento. 

[/quote']

O livro no qual se baseia o roteiro não tem nada a ver com essas características, Spielberg parece ter se desinteressado por essa perspectiva em seus trabalhos e Tony Kushner como roteirista é acima de qualquer suspeita.

Mas você pode estar certo, e eu, errado. Em 2008 (ou 2009, mais provavelmente, no Brasil) saberemos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

Segundo o site Screen Daily, finalmente o projeto sairá do papel para ser lançado ano que vem, para coincidir com o 200º aniversário do ex-Presidente estadunidense. As filmagens deverão ter início no começo do ano que vem.

lincoln3.jpg279683.jpeg

Spielberg will shoot long-awaited Abraham Lincoln project after Tintin
Martin Blaney

in Berlin

10 May 2008 19:21

Steven

Spielberg's long-gestating project about US president Abraham Lincoln

will be the director's next project after the first live-action Tintin film which goes into production this September.

Spielberg says

he will begin shooting of the Lincoln biopic at the beginning of 2009

"so that it can also open in the same year as Lincoln's 200th

anniversary which comes round then."

Originally, Spielberg had

been planning Chicago Seven as his next project about the famous 1960s

trial of the protestors at the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago.

However,

this project had to be postponed since the screenplay was not yet

ready, leading to the Lincoln project being brought forward in its

place.

In an interview with the German weekly magazine FOCUS ahead of the world premiere of the new Indiana Jones film in Cannes, Spielberg also said production on Tintin would not be threatened by a possible actors' strike.

"That doesn't affect us as it is an animation film with motion capture technology," he said.

• Members

Um irlandes fazendo um papel de um patriótico presidente dos EUA?

Muita gente lá não vai gostar.

Eu não tenho nada contra. É um bom ator.

Até agora todos os filmes do Spielberg eu tenho assistido, mas se seguir a mesma linha de "O Patriótico" do Mel Gibson já não é uma boa coisa.

Vamos esperar pelo roteiro.

Abcs

• Members

Um irlandes fazendo um papel de um patriótico presidente dos EUA?

Muita gente lá não vai gostar.

Eu não tenho nada contra. É um bom ator.

Até agora todos os filmes do Spielberg eu tenho assistido' date=' mas se seguir a mesma linha de "O Patriótico" do Mel Gibson já não é uma boa coisa.
[/quote']

Ah, mas um galês como Anthony Hopkins fez Nixon brilhantemente, hoje não se escuta gente chiando sobre isso.

E acho que alguém do gabarito de Tony Kushner não iria cair na armadilha do simples patriotismo, mas é melhor esperar para ver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Spielberg fala sobre os tópicos que abordará neste filme, em entrevista a The Australian:

Even so' date=' Spielberg’s next film, based on the last nine months of

Abraham Lincoln’s life, will be conventional in form. “I am dealing

with history and I don’t want to confuse people,” he says. “I want to

take people back to 1864, to 1865 in a way that they can achieve a sort

of communion with all the events. I want people to really understand

the importance of emancipation and reconstruction and all the great

decisions that Lincoln made.”

When he talks like this,

Spielberg sounds like a teacher or a custodian of the culture – the

nation’s official storyteller. Indeed, these days he’d rather be doing

stories about history than stories with mass appeal.

“I love

watching the building blocks of society. I just love watching who laid

the foundations, who built the second floor … I am just really

interested in the construction of a society or a government or an

important change in a paradigm.

“History was the only course I

was any good at at school. I was always interested in history but I

basically had to smother it in order to make these other movies – which

I really wanted to make. I was really a crowd-pleaser. I wanted to make

movies for audiences and didn’t think history would be interesting

enough for audiences.”

Now he has not only Lincoln on the

drawing board but also the 1968 Democratic Convention and the Chicago

Seven protesters in a movie that is being scripted by The West Wing

writer Aaron Sorkin. He wants Lincoln – which will star Liam Neeson

(who played Oskar Schindler in Schindler’s List back in 1993) – to be

released on the former president’s 200th birthday in 2009. The story he

wants to tell in Lincoln is the story of how the slave trade

abolitionists, who were a minority, were able to create change “through

the voice of a single president”.

“I am really interested in

the fact that individuals, not interest groups, can make such a

difference to the world,” he says. “That is why I was interested in

telling the story of Oskar Schindler and why I am interested in telling

the story of Lincoln. Individuals are the ones who effect change, not

necessarily a body politic.”

[/quote']

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Cinebiografia de Abraham Lincoln deve ser o próximo filme de Spielberg

Cineasta disse que o filme "está tomando forma bem rapidamente"

12/01/2009

A cinebiografia de Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) que Steven Spielberg dirigirá será provavelmente seu próximo trabalho.

No domingo, quando compareceu ao Globo de Ouro para receber um prêmio por sua carreira, o cineasta disse que o filme "está tomando forma bem rapidamente". O elenco já tinha começado a se formar: Sally Field foi a contratação mais recente, como Mary Todd, a esposa do décimo-sexto presidente dos Estados Unidos, que será interpretado por Liam Neeson (Batman Begins).

Abraham Lincoln será centrado na condução do Norte à vitória na Guerra da Secessão. A trama, roteirizada por Paul Webb, se baseia na biografia The Uniter: The Genius of Abraham Lincoln, escrita pela historiadora vencedora do Pulitzer Doris Kearns Goodwin.

É possível que Spielberg coloque o filme como prioridade também para pegar o bicentenário do nascimento de Lincoln, neste ano de 2009.

Oba parace que agora vai01

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Destino do novo longa de Spielberg será decidido semana que vem - 10/02/2009 18:19

O jornalista Jeffrey Wells, do blog Hollywood Elsewhere, revelou que o roteirista de Lincoln, Tony Kushner, declarou que o destino do filme será decidido na semana que vem e, se for dada a luz verde para a produção, o longa, que será dirigido por Steven Spielberg, deverá ser lançado até o Natal.

As fontes de Wells ainda revelaram que Kushner confirmou que o longa só vai cobrir dois meses da vida do ex-presidente dos Estados Unidos. O primeiro tratamento do roteiro retratava quatro meses e tinha 500 páginas.

Kushner ainda revelou que a 13ª emenda da Constituição dos Estados Unidos, que aboliu a escravidão e a servidão involuntária, será "algo grande no filme".

• Members

Quase desmaiei quando li aquela notícia.

Há ANOS espero pela "decolagem" desse projeto.

Mais do que um eventual novo Oscar para Spielberg, quero vê-lo criando outra obra-prima dramática, algo que, ao meu ver, ele não faz desde 1998.

Tomara que dê certo. E o projeto está em pré-produção há um tempão, não duvido que ele consiga deixá-lo pronto até o fim do ano.

Que notícia excitante!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Futuro da produção de Spielberg é incerto - 19/02/2009 19:46

Segundo o site The Big Money, a situação de Abraham Lincoln, projeto dos sonhos de Steven Spielberg, não é das melhores.

O grande obstáculo para a produção do longa seria a falta de dinheiro da Dreamworks. Spielberg pretendia lançar a produção, na qual trabalha há anos, no fim de 2009, ano do bicentenário do ex-presidente norte-americano. Porém os problemas financeiros do estúdio podem prejudicar a obra.

A Dreamworks era parceira da Paramount, mas o relacionamento dos executivos de ambos os estúdio azedou. Quando surgiu a chance e o contrato permitiu, Spielberg e seus parceiros David Geffen e Stacy Snider abandonaram a parceria, com planos de acumular dinheiro por conta própria e distribuir seus filmes através da Universal. Veio a crise financeira e a Dreamworks percebeu que ganhar dinheiro não era tão fácil e, por isso, pediu à Universal mais financiamento. Quando o estúdio recusou, a Dreamworks começou a conversar com a Disney. Porém, a Universal descobriu tal negociação e desistiu de qualquer parceria com a companhia de Spielberg, que foi obrigada a fazer um rápido e menos favorável acordo de distribuição com a empresa do Mickey Mouse.

Segundo a fonte, quando a parceria entre Paramount e Dreamworks foi quebrada, Spielberg teve que abdicar de mais de US$ 13 milhões do seu próprio bolso para assegurar os direitos de 17 projetos. Agora, o estúdio quer fazer outro cheque para ter de volta um novo grupo de longas que estavam com a Paramount, e neste grupo está Abraham Lincoln. Mas, para adquirir a produção, a companhia teria que comprar dois filmes prontos: The Lovely Bones, de Peter Jackson e A Thousand Words, comédia com Eddie Murphy. Só que a Dreamworks não tem esse dinheiro.

Por isso, o futuro de Lincoln está nas mãos da Paramount. O estúdio já tinha desistido do filme, devido ao seu alto orçamento, mas Spielberg, que pretende dirigi-lo, já diminuiu o custo da produção para US$ 50 milhões. Porém, o companhia está receosa porque o longa - um sério drama de época passado no século XIX - lembra Amistad, um dos maiores fracassos comerciais do diretor.

De acordo com o The Big Money, se a produção for para frente, Spielberg terá mais um problema, já que se a Paramount resolver fazer o filme, a Disney, atual parceira da Dreamworks, não será o estúdio responsável pela distribuição do primeiro drama sério do cineasta desde Munique.

• Members

Se Spielberg tem problemas com dinheiro, então a coisa é realmente séria.

Sobre o "Napoleão" de Kubrick, na verdade, o problema não foi dinheiro, a Warner ia fazer o filme, mas lançaram um pouco antes do início das filmagens, um chamado "Waterloo", que foi um fiasco de bilheteria, deixando assim, o mestre, Stanley, desanimado. Ele retomaria o projeto depois, que ficou engavetado, mas isso nunca aconteceu, uma pena. No DVD duplo de "De Olhos Bem Fechados" existe um excelente documentário sobre os 3 projetos do Kubrick, e também o "AI", que não vingaram; um sobre Napoleão, o outro era sobre a 2° Guerra e mais um.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Robert Redford to conspire on Lincoln assassination pic

Robert Redford is visiting the land of Lincoln.

The hyphenate with an acute interest in political topics will direct the historical drama "The Conspirator," the story of Mary Surratt, alleged conspirator of Abraham Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth.

The indie, which Greg Shapiro, Rob and Web Stone and Brian Peter Falk are producing, aims to shoot this fall. Bill Holderman is co-producing.

James Solomon, the WME-repped writer and exec producer on New York Yankees tale "The Bronx is Burning," penned the screenplay. Like "Conspirator," the ESPN original series is also a story set in a politically turbulent time, the volatile summer of 1977 in New York City.

Producers are out to cast, with James McAvoy said to be at the top of their list for one of the lead roles.

Surratt's is a compelling story. A Washington D.C. boardinghouse owner who sympathized with the Confederates, she was allegedly part of the plot to kill Lincoln, supplying Wilkes Booth and his accomplice David Herold weapons at her tavern after the assassin had shot the president at Ford's Theater.

Surratt's son John was also alleged to be part of the conspiracy. Mary Surratt was eventually convicted and hanged for conspiring to kill the president; her son went on the lam and eventually was put on trial but was never convicted, living until 1916.

The pic will also center on a young Union hero named Frederick Aiken who was appointed to defend Mary Surratt, and who comes to believe that the widow is innocent.

The period immediately after the Lincoln assassination was considered extremely volatile, with the country on the cusp of again falling into civil war; that period will provide a backdrop to the Redford-helmed tale.

Redford's most recent directorial effort was "Lions for Lambs," the United Artists film that centered on a series of interlocking tales in and around the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. That film was a boxoffice disappointment, but Redford has not shied away from politics before or since.

The founder of the Sundance Film Festival most notably starred in "The Candidate," about the an idealistic outsider Senate candidate who finds himself tempted by the power of image and spin in political campaigns.

He is also attached to direct "Against All Enemies," the adaptation of Richard Clarke's expose about the Bush administration's intelligence failures, though that project has become uncertain in the wake of the unraveling of Capitol Films, which was the most recent company to come aboard.

Lincoln has been the subject of attention by many in Hollywood, but lately projects have faced more obstacles than the president's legendary trek through the snow.

Steven Spielberg has been attached to direct "Lincoln," the biopic about the sixteenth president, but the the project that has been gestating for a long time at DreamWorks.

And HBO and Walden have been in development on a story about the search for Wilkes Booth after he pulled the trigger, based on James Swanson's "Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer." The project at an earlier stage had Harrison Ford attached to star, but its status is also uncertain.

Producer Shapiro is behind a number of movies, including those with political overtones, such as curren sleeper Iraq pic "The Hurt Locker." The Stones count "Gone in Sixty Seconds" and "The Negotiator" among their credits.

Para a tristeza do Gustavo...
Jonny Greenwood2009-08-18 10:34:22